Tuesday 1 December 2009

Stigma in Occupational Health


I have just applied for two jobs in Occupational Health for which I was well qualified, and one at least said I interviewed well. Nonetheless, no success!

The trouble is, that I got above myself during the interviews and mentioned the "B word" - (ie Bipolar disorder). It is difficult to explain my Curriculum Vitae without doing so. Why would I leave a successful career in neurosurgery and end up in Occupational Health? at least not without a large brood of children. It is not a natural progression. And why the Book? Nonetheless, mentioning the B word, in the eyes of Occupational Health Physicians, disqualifies me from paid employment - and certainly not as one of them!

Occupational Health and Psychiatry seem to be the two medical specialties most steeped in prejudice. These specialities run on opinion, rather than objective tests. More than any other, their professional judgements rely solely on professional prejudices, which surface quickly and easily. Both would rather employ a donkey with no brain than a doctor who admits to a mental health problem.

Admitting a mental health problem shows a gross lack of insight. Not unlike telling a Palestinian you are Jewish, or a Gorbals Catholic, you are a Protestant - best not done unless you are wearing running shoes. The reaction of an Occupational Health Physician to mental health problems is to make the sign of the cross and backpedal fast in the opposite direction whilst throwing garlic over their left shoulder.

I half expect them to refer me to the GMC for having the temerity to apply for their "nice" job!

My fault of course, I mentioned my "disability" at the interview.

Lesson: Never tell anyone anything they do not need to know.♠

1 comment:

  1. this is really nice to read..informative post is very good to read..thanks a lot! koktale

    ReplyDelete